Apologies for the picture- the stew got high reviews at the dinner table so afraid no pictures possible (plus phone is broken 😦 …). So instead have a picture I took of a burning log from a day or two ago (when my phone was working…).
This is a new favourite for my family…
Lamb Stew with Sultana Dumplings
This should serve 5-6
Ingredients for stew:
1/2 leg of Lamb
3-4 carrots chopped (skin on, washed before chopped)
1 large or 2 small swedes
2 beef oxo cubes
1 tsp chopped garlic (I use Very Lazy Garlic in the jar – saves it going off and saves your hands stinking of garlic for days to come)
1 tsp chopped ginger (also Very Lazy Ginger in jar – lasts far better)
2-3 tsp mixed herbs
2 tbsp bisto original gravy granules + 200ml water
- Place everything except the bisto gravy granules in the slow cooker for 3hrs on high
- put on low for 2hrs
- move into large saucepan removing bone and fat from the lamb
- add the bisto granules and stir, add a further 200ml water, add dumplings now
200g self-raising flour
100g sultanas (or raisins)
40g desiccated or ground coconut
- Mix all of the ingredients (excluding the sultanas) to form a dough (sift first if you like or just stir/squash out lumps)
- add sultanas and mix well (you can leave these out – my husband forgoes them but myself and the children like them)
- divide into balls (2 per person or as required, i.e. for us we do 1 each for the younger children and two each for everyone else).
- place on top of the stew in the liquid, cover pan and leave to simmer for 30 minutes.
- serve dinner and enjoy! I it comes out right you’ll not get a chance for pictures either….
I’d love to hear back from anyone who has tried any of my recipes and how they got on….